Italian Open 2026: Sinner Joins Djokovic as Only Player to Win All 9 Masters 1000 Events

Jannik Sinner
Sinner beats Ruud to win Italian Open 

Sinner heads to Roland Garros on a 29-match winning streak and is the first player since Djokovic to hold every Masters 1000 title.


Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori also won the men’s doubles title, making it a sweep for Italy in Rome...


Jannik Sinner captured the Italian Open title on Sunday with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Casper Ruud. The victory marks his sixth straight Masters 1000 title in a row.


With the win, the world No. 1 completed the Career Golden Masters by winning every ATP Masters 1000 event. He also became the first Italian to win in Rome since Adriano Panatta did it 50 years ago.




Before Sunday, only Novak Djokovic had won all nine Masters 1000 tournaments. Sinner left little doubt over the past 10 days that he would join him.




Sinner will head to Roland Garros next weekend riding a 29-match winning streak. He improved to 5-0 against Ruud with the win.


“There was a lot of tension you know, on both sides and (it) was not perfect, perfect tennis from both of us,” said Sinner.


“But I'm really, really happy, it's been an incredible last two-and-a-half months.”




Sinner’s winning streak stretches even further in Masters 1000 events. He’s now won 34 matches in a row at that level, another record in a season where he’s been the dominant force on the men’s tour.


He also has a chance to complete his set of Grand Slam titles at Roland Garros. With Carlos Alcaraz sidelined, few would bet against Sinner claiming his first French Open trophy.


Ruud has won more matches and titles on clay than any other player since 2020. He last won a Masters 1000 in Madrid last year, but couldn’t solve Sinner this time.


The Norwegian had never taken a set off Sinner in their four previous meetings. He did improve on last year’s lopsided loss in Rome by taking the first two games before Sinner took control.


Sinner broke right back and seized control, taking the opening set despite world No. 25 Ruud holding his own. Ruud had said before the match that Sinner “cannot lose” right now.


Sinner broke again early in the second set, and from there the outcome felt inevitable. Ruud still played well in front of a packed crowd on center court.


Ruud joked afterward, “I know that in football it’s a different story,” referring to Norway’s qualification for the World Cup for the first time since 1998.


Norway secured a spot in this summer’s tournament in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico by knocking out Italy. The Italians failed to qualify for a third straight World Cup after falling short in March.


“I never played the big three in their prime... But I'm sure Roger, Novak, Rafa, 25, 26 years old was also the same feeling for the other players,” said Ruud of Sinner to reporters afterwards.


“I don't see him getting any worse, unfortunately. You just have to think that you have to be better and better because he's also going to get better and better.”



Italian tennis had another reason to celebrate as Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori claimed the men’s doubles title. They defeated second seeds Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos 7-6(8), 6-7(3), 10-3.



No comments:

Leave comment here

Powered by Blogger.