Aussie Cricket Crisis: T20 World Cup Exit Sparks Backlash
Australia's shocking T20 World Cup group stage exit sparks criticism of team's bowling, selection, and coaching staff.
“The trouble is that a host of players who had been central to those series wins have fallen off a cliff when the stakes are at their highest.”
Australia's shocking T20 World Cup exit has sparked intense criticism, with critics pointing fingers at the team's bowling line-up and selection decisions. The 2021 champions were knocked out in the group stages, with Zimbabwe qualifying for the Super 8s after their match against Ireland was rained off.
Former Australian pacer Glenn McGrath slammed the team's selection, questioning Cameron Green's inclusion over Steve Smith, citing Green's poor form and lack of bowling involvement. Others blamed the absence of key players like Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, and Mitchell Starc, saying the bowling attack was a “shadow of former glories.”
The team's preparation and strategy have also come under fire, with critics saying they weren't ready for the tournament. The Australian newspaper called the campaign “shambolic,” while former cricketer Brad Hogg said they “probably deserve what they've got.”
Australia's T20 World Cup campaign has been slammed as “shambolic,” with injuries piling up. They lost key pace bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, while captain Mitchell Marsh missed the first two games after getting hit in the groin and suffering testicular bleeding.
Australia's T20 pace attack has struggled without key players like Hazlewood, Cummins, and Mitchell Starc, with the latter retiring from the format. The Australian newspaper noted their recent form has been lackluster compared to past successes.
The paper reminisced about Australia's strong T20I run from September 2024 to October 2025, where they won five and drew one of six matches.
“The trouble is that a host of players who had been central to those series wins have fallen off a cliff when the stakes are at their highest.”
The Australian newspaper slammed Australia's T20 World Cup campaign, citing major drops in output from players like Cameron Green, Tim David, and Josh Inglis. They also pointed to series losses against India and Pakistan as evidence of the team's struggles.
The paper blasted the selectors for “stuff-ups,” criticizing the inclusion of Cooper Connolly and snubbing Steve Smith, who's been in great form in the Big Bash League. Smith's expertise against spin bowling made his omission even more questionable.
Steve Smith joined Australia as cover last week and was officially added to the squad over the weekend, after their shock loss to Zimbabwe on Friday.
“We still haven't had a compelling answer as to why he wasn't yet in Colombo for the match against Zimbabwe, five days after Marsh was injured in the nets,” The Australian said.
Australia's decision to leave Steve Smith out of the must-win game against Sri Lanka on Monday backfired massively, with the team suffering an eight-wicket loss. Smith, who was in top form in the Big Bash League, was added to the squad over the weekend after Australia's surprise loss to Zimbabwe, but he didn't make it into the playing XI.
The omission of Smith was widely criticized, with former Australian cricketer Mark Waugh calling it “the most baffling non-selection I can remember” and an “insult” to the player. Australia's middle order collapsed, and Sri Lanka's spinners dominated, securing a crucial victory.
AUSSIE WORLD CUP FLOP COULD RUIN OLYMPIC PLANS 😱
— Fox Cricket (@FoxCricket) February 18, 2026
The next T20 World Cup should suit Australia better, since it's being co-hosted with New Zealand, but that's not the next major event on the calendar.
That's the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics, with cricket making a long-awaited… pic.twitter.com/KfhljA9lFr
Former Australian cricketer Brad Hogg says selectors and coaching staff will likely face heat over Australia's dismal T20 World Cup campaign. With criticism mounting, the pressure's on those behind the scenes to explain the team's early exit.
British journalist Piers Morgan, known for poking fun at Australia, tweeted his “condolences” with a prayer emoji: “My thoughts with @CricketAus at this very difficult time.”

No comments:
Leave comment here