Zverev’s Roland Garros Chance Hinges on Beating Sinner and Fatigue
| Alexander Zverev hopes to break Grand Slam duck despite 'big gap' to Jannik Sinner |
The world No. 3 has reached multiple semis and a final in Paris but faces a tough task with Sinner looming and fitness concerns lingering.
After another heavy loss to Jannik Sinner in Madrid, Zverev admitted the Italian is ahead of the field as he prepares for Roland Garros...
Germany’s Alexander Zverev has been close to a major breakthrough for nearly 10 years, but he’s still chasing his first Grand Slam title. With time starting to run out, the window is narrowing.
Now 29, Zverev has another shot at Roland Garros, marking his 41st appearance in a Grand Slam main draw. With one of the usual obstacles out of the way, this could be as good a chance as he’ll get.
As world number three, Zverev will be seeded second after defending champion Carlos Alcaraz withdrew. The path ahead is still tough, but he has the form to go deep in the tournament.
Few players have matched Zverev’s consistency on the clay in Paris. He made three straight semi-finals from 2021 to 2023, then reached the final in 2024 before losing to Alcaraz. Last year he was beaten in the quarter-finals by Novak Djokovic.
Zverev’s first serve and backhand are both dangerous weapons, and he moves smoothly on clay. The real challenge is convincing himself that his moment is still ahead. Even if he avoids Sinner until the final, the Italian’s presence in the draw weighs on him. Zverev has lost all four meetings with Sinner this season without taking a set.
Excitement loading 🤩#RolandGarros pic.twitter.com/N7BwDOSTqH
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) May 19, 2026
Zverev Admits Sinner Is in a League of His Own.
After his latest loss to Sinner in the Madrid final, where he managed just three games, Zverev explained exactly where the problem lies.
“It's not like I'm the only one losing to him. I'm just losing to him more because I get to him every single time and I lose to him. So it's like that,” he said.
“I think there's a big gap between Sinner and everybody else right now. It's quite simple.”
Zverev looked drained at the Italian Open, falling to Luciano Darderi in the round of 16. He then withdrew from his home event in Hamburg due to a minor back issue.
To have any chance of breaking through at Roland Garros, he’ll need to be at full strength. Part of him might also be hoping that Sinner’s dominant run cools off before the men’s final on June 7.
Publicly though, Zverev stays optimistic. Even if he faces the Italian again, he believes he can find a way to turn the matchup around.
“I do have to believe that I'm capable of beating him. I do have to believe it, otherwise we can just give him the trophy without playing the tournament,” Zverev said.
Can Zverev finally break through at Roland Garros?

No comments:
Leave comment here